Golf is not just a game for the rich and famous. It can be an…
Golf stretching should be one of the first things that you do before you take your first step onto the golf course. Just like warm-up hits are essential, so is pre-game stretching. Many golfers already know how imperative stretching is to have enough flexibility to maintain a good swing. Golfing is a sport that requires strength, flexibility, coordination, and endurance. Having a range of motion is extremely important and can improve club speed, hip rotation, spinal rotation, and more. For golfers, both beginners and experts, everyone can use a regular stretching routine. Indian River Golf Foundation, IRGF has compiled a quick practice of stretches that anyone can follow to increase flexibility to improve your golf swing.
Golf Stretching Routine
Stretch 1- the Twist Stretch
The twist is an excellent stretch for loosening up the lower back and the hamstrings. To do this stretch, please follow these steps:
- Begin the stretch with your feet placed at a stance wider than your hips.
- Place your right hand on your lower back and facing away from your body.
- Begin to bend your right knee and twist to reach your left hand to your right foot.
- Then lift your torso and switch to the opposite side.
Stretch 2- the Scarecrow Twist
The practice of this stretch is great for relieving any pressure that may be coming from your lower back. To do this stretch, follow these steps:
- Begin with your feet slightly wider than shoulder distance.
- Place your golf club behind your neck and onto your shoulders.
- Put both arms over/around the club, much like a scarecrow stands.
- Bend your knees and twist to the right while pivoting the left foot.
- Repeat step 4 on the opposite side.
Golf Stretch 3- the Standing Side Stretch
Due to the twisting that this stretch produces, it is excellent for stretching the spine. It also will help to prepare the body for swinging a golf club. To do this stretch, follow the steps below:
- Begin standing straight while planting the club into the ground with your right hand.
- Cross your left leg over the right leg and reach the left arm up and over in the golf club’s direction.
- Look up and allow the hips to move to the left side slightly.
- Follow steps 1-3 on the opposite side of the body.
Golf Stretching With IRGF
Next time you schedule your tee time, do this quick stretching routine and notice the difference that you will feel within the body. If you’re interested in learning more about our foundation in Indian River County, please contact Roger Van Dyke, the Founder and President of IRGF, via email at [email protected] or by phone at (772) 713-9593.